Re: GPS

  I was at XP 2001, and I need to disagree with Anna about the e trex
units. I think the e trex units are the best choice for endurance
riders, however the cheapest model (yellow) only stores one route. On XP
we had days with 7 routes to get us through 50 miles. So the people with
a yellow unit could only follow waypoints, not a route. I personally
like the etrex summit the best for on the horse, with the etrex legend
or etrex vista second best.  The Legend is a nicer unit, with a map, but
the joystick is harder to work on the horse. The summit still only uses
the side buttons since it can't do everything the Legend can. But on the
horse trotting it is easier to use.
   A couple big facts.  Only Garmins were loaded at XP, other brands
were never loaded, so I recommend Garmin only.  My choice is the e trex
line, but the GPS 3 or 12 were OK also.
    I think there is another etrex above the yellow unit but below the
Legend. If it can store 20 routes and 500 waypoints it will work for
most endurance rides. And I think the future may be in using GPS units
to mark courses. No trail sabotage when the trail markings are held in
everybody's own GPS, and much easier on the ride manager, nothing to put
out or pick up. And no regulators complaining you missed some when you
do pick them up.

Jim Mitchell