Re: RC: Norco injury

guest@endurance.net writes:

   >Me, being the silly
   >inexperienced novice (let's get that out of the way), am
   >simply horrified to think that her mare (who lives next door to my
horse)
   >suffered without vet attention or at least a ride to
   >the camp.  Is that typical of endurance rides?  Should I give
   >up the idea of participating right now for fear my horse would
   >be left to die?  Because if that is how emergency situations
   >are handled and prioritized...count me out.

Ken Marcella, one of the best vets in the Southeast, writing about the
extreme sport "Endurance Riding" mentions that these events include
"uneven terrain, rocky, steep slopes, holes, brush, deep sand, rivers,
not to mention wild animals, darkness, dehydration, isolation, bikers,
hikers and the threat of injury".

He also states that "Synchronous diaphragmatic flutter (thumps)
exertional rhabdomyalisis (tying up), heat stress and heat stroke,
metabolic colic and all forms of lameness are constant possibilities at
an Endurance ride".

That's why it's called "Endurance".  On the other hand, it provides one
with a great deal of satisfaction and self-confidence to finish a ride
well with a sound rider and horse over a difficult course.  It behooves
one to "be prepared" and learn to deal with whatever happens.  It guess
it's kind of a "throwback" to the pioneering spirit....where you had to
depend on yourself...and your horse...to get you through whatever you
ran into. Endurance is sometimes an exercise in survival under extrem
conditions. You learn what to carry and how to use it....mostly from
people who have been there and done that.

It's not for everyone.....

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic.