Re: Vendors at PAC--Tuend Treeless Saddles

> Now I don't actually know what's *in* a Sportsaddle.  I had
> always assumed that it contained some kind of front structural
> element, a joint in the middle, and then some kind of rear
> structural element.  I.e., it wasn't really "treeless," it
> was two tree elements--a front and rear element--(albeit
> light--maybe plastic) covered and joined flexibly together
> by the leather covering you see on top.  Is this true?
> What actually is *in* a Sportsaddle?

I have 5 sportsaddles.  My understanding is that the main body of the saddle
is several layers of neoprene, with fleece underside, and either smooth
leather or suede on top.  There is a fromt pommel piece and back cantle
piece, which I believe are wood.  All the rigging for the stirrups and cinch
are sandwhiched between and neoprene into a "Y", and connect to the pommel
and cantle.  So, there isn't a single strap or pressure point the stirrups
are hung from.

The saddle is not meant to be cinched down hard.  If y ou do, you can jam
the pommel into the shoulders.  The saddle, for me, is quite stable being
cinched loose.  In theory, the pommel will "float"  to accomodate the width
of the withers.....this is all probably explaned better in Geri Rini's
website.....  www.sportssaddle.com

In conjunction with a skito pad, my experience is that the saddle
distributes weight far better than a lot of standard saddles I have seen,
even custom fitted endurance saddles.

Karen