Vendors at PAC--Tuend Treeless Saddles

Two saddle vendors displayed their equipment at PAC:  Tuend
Treeless Saddles and ReactorPanel.

I had examined the Tuend saddles on their web page
(http://www.tuendtreelesssaddles.com/) several times, but
couldn't get a good enough idea of what they actually
*were* from the web page.  I needed to sit, touch, feel,
paw the saddle and Tuend's appearance at PAC gave me the
chance to do so.

A Tuend saddle is a very fancy bareback pad.

Now I don't actually know what's *in* a Sportsaddle.  I had
always assumed that it contained some kind of front structural
element, a joint in the middle, and then some kind of rear
structural element.  I.e., it wasn't really "treeless," it
was two tree elements--a front and rear element--(albeit
light--maybe plastic) covered and joined flexibly together
by the leather covering you see on top.  Is this true?
What actually is *in* a Sportsaddle?

I ask because a Tuend saddle, true to its name, has no
structural elements whatsoever.

First, there is a thick, plush, very well constructed
base *pad*, very comfy.

Stitched to the top of this pad is the webbing that holds
the attachments for the stirrup leathers.  I asked the
saleslady whether one could move these stirrup attachments
further forward or back, and she said that there was
currently no provision for this, but that she was going
to talk to the guys back in Italy to see if they would
do this.  There's no reason they couldn't--it is only
a piece of webbing stitched to the pad.

I am afraid that I don't remember how the girth billets
were attached.   I should remember, but I don't.

At the front of the saddle, there is a zippered pouch
stitched to the top of the pad (might be velcroed, but
I think it is actually stitched).  Into this zippered
pouch, you insert a block of wood carved in the shape of
a pommel.

At the rear of the saddle, there is another zippered
pouch stitched to the top of the pad.  Into this
zippered pouch, you insert a block of wood carved in
the shape of a cantle.

So, what appear to be the conventional structural elements
of a saddle, the pommel and pouch, are nothing more than
removable blocks of wood perched on top of the pad.
You could take your pommel and cantle out and use the
pouches for water bottles and electrolytes!

To cover the pad in the middle where the stirrup webbing
is, there is a plush seat cushion that is velcroed to
the webbing beneath.

That't it.  That's all there is to it.  A fancy bareback
pad with a couple of blocks of wood in front and behind
you to help stabilize you.  She said the Endurance model
doesn't even have the rear cantle pouch.

The retail price was $1499, with a special on for PAC
of $1399.

It was very comfy to sit in on the saddle stand.  I'd be
real curious to see what it felt like on a horse.

Personally, a Tuend just isn't enough *saddle* for
my tastes.  But if you're the bareback type who would
maybe like something to hang some stirrups and equipment
from, that has the rings you need for breastplates and
cruppers (which I would *strongly* recommend), and also
keep the sweat off your legs--this looks like just the ticket!

Linda B. Merims
lbm@naisp.net
Massachusetts, USA