Re: Arab Slaughter Horse Looking For a Home

----- Original Message -----
From: guest@endurance.net
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2001 11:51 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: Arab Slaughter Horse Looking For a Home

Suzanne Boyd sboyd1@neo.rr.com
Maybe things are different here in the midwest(Ohio) but on just about any
given Friday you can go to the local(Sugarcreek) meat sale and find a few
nice Arabs in the meat pen. These horses can generally be had for $600 or
even less. While I will agree that not every horse in the meat buyer's pen
should be rescued, you would might have a hard time believing some of the
ones that are there. I don't understand it myself. For instance, in the
last year I have  gotten: 1. a 6yr. old registered Bask bred gelding that
is now ridden by an 8 yr. old girl on the local show circuit.  2. an 8 yr.
old registered Half-Arab gelding that is now doing training level dressage
at a prominant local dressage barn and jumping 3 ft. with his 12 yr. old
owner   and 3. an 11 yr. old registered Bask bred gelding that is
re-aquainting his 50 some year old owner with trailriding

As far as I'm aware, there is no slaughter house in Florida.  I think there might be one in Georgia somewhere.  For me, this is an exceptional way to buy a horse.  You save a life, and get a great deal.  Can't beat the price anywhere.

I would have a hard time entering a slaughter house filled with horses.  I think they'd have to haul me away in handcuffs.  I can just picture me standing there screaming, "Why, Lord, why, are we killing these beautiful creatures?  For dog food?  To feed the French?"  I would lose it totally, and since I'm half nuts already I know something like this might push me over the edge.

Life has so many horrors; so many wrongs, so few rights.  This scene is a nightmare to me.  But I bet you cherish the horse you save.  I know I would.

cya,

Howard (thanks for listening to me rant about the generators; I feel better now.  lol)