Freeze Branding

 With all this talk going around about killers, slaughter houses and horse
meat getting big bucks, you guys are making me paranoid.  So, what is the
best way to mark your horses?  We have Arabians and they used to freeze
brand them.  But I heard that the Registry does not do that anymore.   Does
anyone know how one goes about getting horses freeze branded?  I am not all
that sold on the microchip thing.  Not all places use the scanner I am told.
I would rather have something that everyone can see.
Also, someone suggested that one could get their own brand registered with
the state.  How much does that cost?  We live in Calif.  That sounds kinda
cool, my own brand!
Any info is appreciated.
Tony Corbelletta