Re: RC: Nutrition of Carrots?

On a 100 many moons ago, I felt that something was not right. This mare would eat anything anytime and drink anytime.The first check for the 100's was at 30 miles but there was a crew stop at 16 miles. Actually it was a check for the 50's at 16 miles and a "trot by" for the 100's.  My crew was there. I came it and she did not want to drink. bad sign. She did not want to eat her mash, bad
sign. But she would eat carrots. So she got about two pounds of carrots. We stayed about 10 or 15 minutes till she ate her fill of carrots. I shot her with electrolytes ( yes even though she wasn't drinking ) and off we went. I took it slow and was ready to pull at 30 miles if things didn't improve. About 5 miles out we crossed a deep stream.

She sucked down about 5 gallons, sighed, took three steps to get out of the water, picked up a gallop and we were into the check in no time. By then was eatting like she hadn't had a meal in 3 weeks and drinking everything dry. She went on to finish in fine shape.

So why the carrots may not be "nutritionally valuable" - they were what the doctor ordered that day.

The only draw back I found was these mutterings of "eh, what's up doc" as she trotting on down the trail.