Re: Spooking on trail

My usual response, when one of mine will zig into a bush or the other side of
the trail is a loud game show buzzer noise or "EXCCUUUSSSE ME!!!"  followed by
a smack with the crop and an opportunity to go by the horse-eating dead
fern or
white stump again.  If they continue on and don't spook at it again, that's
the
end of it.  If they spook again, we repeat the above scenario.  I never let
them think a spook is a good thing.  To me that's only inviting them to spook
worse -- and *always* at that spot in the future.  It's NOT okay that they
spook and leap to the other side of the road or into the bushes!!  There is no
niceness in my voice so they don't have any opportunity to think what they did
was acceptable.

If they show some concern over something but continue on and don't do any
Meathead maneuvers off the trail, I will tell them that it's okay and "trot
on..."

Sue