Re: Spooking on trail

My epithet of choice is "boogey woogey".  :)

I think it has a real effect, in the sense that the silliness lowers my
tension level, and maybe in some vague way conveys how I feel about my
horse jumping at clods of dirt and tire tracks!

Just to agree with previous posters, I also have found that riding forward
through the spooks and asking my horse for harder tasks works the best.
Stopping and looking, or punishment, have not had any positive effect on
any of the horses I've ridden or observed.  For my horse, it's definitely
due either to boredom or excess energy--we'll probably never get rid of
the excess energy (if we do, I'll call the vet!), but since I've made a
point of not letting him get bored our rides have been much smoother.

I remember reading someone's post on this subject, probably on this very
forum, that said: "He's an Arab.  He HAS to spook."  If my horse ever
stops spooking completely, I will be concerned that I'm overworking him!

Abby