From: Broken Bell [mailto:broknbel@compuwise.net]
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2001 1:00 PM
To: ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: RC: $$$ in Endurance

Why is the $$$ so important for the article?  The $$$ is not why people
compete.  If there is cash awards, that's total gravy.  If that's an
important part of your article you are missing the whole point of endurance
riding.

It's not an important part of the article.  I just had made a statement in
the article that said that prizes were T-shirts and other small things (not
an exact quote).  Someone pointed out that occasionally, there are cash
awards  involved.

It's actually not an article, but rather, a brief synopsis about a past
time, of which I am doing a series of "articles" on such things as reining,
barrel racing, calf roping, etc.   The purpose of each synopsis is to
educate the reader, assumably someone new to horses (or Equine, if you want
to get technical) just enough that the reader will have a rough idea of what
each sport or past time is about.  It is not to tell every rule in every
rule book on every sport.  None of my pages are intended to promote any one
breed or discipline.

Actually, it's more "information" than it is "education", and I am including
a link on each page for a place where the reader can go, if interested, to
learn more (which will be a lot) about whatever discipline or past time I am
writing about.  In this case, the link will be to Endurance net.

Personally, I choose to include information about money specifically because
money as a reward is not the norm in Endurance.  I was doing some research
on Reining and, maybe I'm dumb, but I cannot figure out why anyone would
want to spend tons of money on training their horse to go in perfect
circles, and then spend even more money on show attire, travel, and entry
fees, except for the money.  One can answer the human call for competition
in other sports, so why would one choose Reining in particular?  The NRHA
(National Reining Horse Association) seems to believe the big draw is money,
as purses and total earnings are prominantly displayed on their web site.
And I only use Reining as one example.  Maybe they think the same thing
about us.  Why would anyone want to spend tons of money on the right horse,
the right tack, the right water bottle, travel, and entry fees just so they
can ride down a trail and maybe get a T-shirt?   What I am focusing on in my
comments regarding purses is what it is that motivates one to choose one
discipline or sport over another one. It's really no big deal, I just choose
to include it, and as the author, it is my perogative (no offense intended,
merely explaining myself).

Antoinette