The old zig-zag problem

I have heard some people complain about this before, but don't remember
the responses.  What is the best way to teach your horse that spooking
and zig-zagging your way down the trail, while trotting or cantering, is
not the thing to do?  I'm so sick of it.  Trotting isn't so bad...it
gets worse at the canter.  I have to constantly use my legs on my mare's
sides to correct her whenever she jumps to one side or another.  I feel
I can never relax while going down the trail.  This mare is 10, so she's
not a greenie!

I long so much for a nice, long, lope on a loose rein without having to
expect a jump to the side every few seconds.  Arrghhh!  She hasn't
unseated me yet, but it doesn't make for a nice ride!  We must look
hilarious to the people behind us.

She will respond immediately to my leg to straighten her back out, but
it doesn't solve the problem.  Should I give her a smack or yell "QUIT"
at her when she does it, or what?

Thanks
Jennifer