Water crossing and Norco Riverdance

I'm getting such a kick out of these water crossing stories.  When I
moved Taffy out to Norco last summer she had never seen water wider than
2 feet or deeper than a couple of inches.  This horse would drink out of
a straw to prevent her lips from getting wet when she drinks if she
could.  Well, you can't ride in Norco without getting your feet wet.  Our
first trip to the river was an experience in terror for Taffy.  It took
me 30 minutes just to get her to stand quietly at the waters edge facing
the water!  No big theatrics, just kept turning her back towards the
waters edge when she tried to leave.  When she backed away I let her back
up until she stopped, then I asked her to move forward up to where she
was when she first started backing up.  When she finally stood still I
gave her withers a scratch.  Then I asked her to put her feet into the
water.  After about another 20 minutes of yo-yoing the front feet in and
out (not my idea, Taffy just wouldn't put all 4 feet in the water) a
couple of riders came along.  They invited me to join them to get Taffy
across.  Well, she didn't want to be left alone, so she cautiously
stepped in.  She was actually doing pretty good until the full force of
the current hit her legs and she freaked.  She turned herself upstream to
face the demon and started leaping sideways to get away from the water
(all 4 feet coming completely out of the water).  The people with us were
laughing hysterically, I was mildly amused.  Before we got to the other
side, however, I wouldn't let her get out of the river.  I turned her
around and made her go back.  She was so grateful to get out she gave a
big fart and took off (now that was funny).  The next day I took her back
and it took me 30 minutes to get her to put one front foot in the water
and stand there quietly.  I took that as a good sign and called it a day.
 The next day I took her out to the river with a new friend from my barn
whose horse Taffy tolerated and liked the water.  While Cody stood in the
water Taffy hemmed and hawed on the bank grunting and squealing and
pawing the edge of the water.  Cody finally got tired of her and pinned
his ears at her.  I don't know what he said but it did the trick.  She
plowed in and has been crossing the river without any fuss ever since.
She does tend to make water crossings a little messy, however.  Anyone
riding with us had better stay behind us or they're going to get wet.
Taffy splashes water everywhere as she walks through - I think she does
it on purpose.

Speaking of nasty mares.  Taffy has her moments.  If the horse in front
of us isn't going fast enough Taffy will stick her head between their
hind legs and lift them up off the ground.  I try very hard to keep her
back, but when you're trying to carry on a conversation with somebody
sometimes you just end up closer then you should be.  Usually Taffy is
the one in front and I don't have to worry about it.  Taffy doesn't kick,
but she does give some wicked witchy-bitch faces that scare even the most
aggressive interlopers.  Taffy doesn't like strangers coming into her
space, but she has no trouble going into strangers spaces.  A couple of
weeks ago I went out with Lynne Glazer and her friends to check trail for
the Norco Riverdance ride.  Taffy did not like Olympia, and was
constantly warning Olympia to back away.  After awhile she settled down
and we were all standing together quietly, Taffy next to Olympia.  Taffy
decided she needed to scratch her face and whipped her head over to the
nearest body, Olympia.  Well, Olympia was busy scratching her own face on
her leg.  When Taffy reached over to rub her head on Oly's flank you'd
have thought Oly had been shot.  Scared her to death.  All of this
happened in the blink of an eye.  I couldn't have prevented Taffy from
touching Oly if my life depended on it.  Fortunately it wasn't an
aggressive move, but I'm sure Olympia  thought her days were numbered.

Now, about the Norco Riverdance ride.  Come!  Period.  End of sentence.
This ride is fantastic.  There is something for everybody at this ride.
Some sand, some river crossings, some hills (some steep), some flat, and
the wonderful tunnels through the arundo. Great volunteers and a ride
manager that aims to please, but won't hesitate to enforce the rules.  It
can be hot, but water is well provided for the horses.  Bring a big hat
and plenty of sunscreen.  Oh, and the dinner after the ride is really
good.  This ride is a definite must.  I get to help Lynne at the 2nd vet
check this year (going to be the out timer).  So, I guess I won't be
sitting all alone and lonely at the finish line this time.  I still think
we need a mariachi band at the finish line, Lynne!

See you all in a couple weeks in Norco!!

Tori