Re: Re: water crossing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Becky Hackworth" <bechack@sierratel.com>

> Find a wide flat entry with a wide flat crossing ( preferably one the
horse
> can not jump....say like 40-50 feet across......) and a buddy with a crop
> and a longe rope.  They will get in.....or go to Norco River Dance in 2
> weeks get to going with the front runners and blitz around a corner and
into
> the water before he knows it....
>
> Seriously.  Being pulled by one horse and pushed and cropped with you on
> top, Taking your time has NOT gotten your point across.  Now it is time to
> get serious.  A nice river bottom with few if any rocks is the best with
> shallow slow moving water. Then work up to the hard rocky narrow
crossings.
> Becky and the gang.

It is very prudent to take your time and think here....this method does have
it's dangers-a friend trying to pony her horse over a creek had the horse
pull her over backwards-happened so fast she didn't let go of HER reins, and
pulled her horse over on top of her...

Also, I tried this once on a green mare-ponied off a steady horse.  The
green mare still jumped, and landed right on me in the saddle...

Karen