RE: water crossing

Title: RE: water crossing

Okay, all you anti-horsebeaters you could start flaming me right now.  My mare used to cross water by not getting her hooves wet.  She would leap over a 6 foot stream bed from a standstill and stick the landing on rock on the other side.  Drove me nuts.  Got off of her one day and decided to walk her across the stream.  She started pulling away from me and tossing her head around, having happy feet and just being drama queen hysterical.  I just bopped her with my bare hand right between her eyes.  You should have seen the shocked look on her face!  But she walked calmly over the streambed after that and has done so ever since.  It just broke her hysteria cycle and got her attention.

Since then, I learned that Linda Tellington-Jones would tap between the eyes to get a horses attention.  I’m not advocating this method necessarily – I just did it out of shear instinct and without a single thought about it until the deed was done!  It worked for my mare, but I could see where it would psychologically scar another horse for life if it was done wrong and out of context.  I’m not so sure that I would use this method again and have the same results.

I’ve never had too much trouble ever teaching a horse to cross a stream.  A lot of it was a patience and tapping the butt with a dressage whip (or a switch from a nearby tree.)   Note that I said TAPPING, not striking.  And of course, having another horse lead the way over the stream, but I bet you have already tried this, so I’ll let other more wiser people comment!

K.