Re: RC: Re: RE: Trail Riding Safety

Just a rather timely story.  Today I was riding my mare out in the stubble
fields.  Decided to go across a gravel road then on across the fields.  I got
down on the road, which is in a canyon at that point.  A car went by, and I
crowded the side as much as I could.  My mare is not spooky of machinery or
cars or motorcycles, so I didn't think too much of it when I heard a
motorcycle (I thought) come up behind us.  I figured it would slow down,
because most of the cyclists (bike and motor) in our area are very
considerate.  Most will automatically stop and pull off the trail, even if
you tell them it's okay if they just take it easy and talk.

Anyway, my horse bolted, and ran about 100yards or better at top speed down a
freshly graveled road!  I was really surprised, because she has NEVER had
that reaction in a spook.  I finally got her slowed down, and she started
bucking a little (more just hopping up and down)  I was already pretty much
unseated, and just about went off, but was able to get my balance back and
get her stopped.

About that time a kid in a little go-cart went whizzing by as fast as the
cart could go!  I was so mad, first I told him to stop right now, which of
course he couldn't even hear.  Then I realized he just went down the road
about a couple hundred yards, where some cars were parked.  So I rode on down
there--steam blowing out of both ears!  I got there and told the young men
that were standing around that their friend had almost got me killed.  A
couple of them laughed, so I took out a pen and started writing down license
plate numbers.  I told them for starters, they were not allowed to drive that
go-cart on a county road, and then read them the riot act about such foolish
behavior around a horse.  They were pretty contrite after they realized that
I was serious.  About 6 boys, from about 6 to 16 yrs old.  Their buddy on the
cart (11 yrs old!) was up a hill, and probably afraid to come down.

 Then I started to calm down a little.  The youngest boy had been in the car,
and got out when he saw the horse, so I got down and asked if he wanted to
pet her, which he did, real shy.  So then I told the boys that the horse was
afraid, because they are used to being chased and eaten, and my horse thought
something was chasing her to hurt her.  By the time I left, I think the boys
were a bit more educated about horses.

So what was my stupidity in all the above?  I should have turned my horse
around to look at what was coming, or at least turned around myself to see
what it was.  I could have prevented the bolt if I had realized the kid was
not slowing down, and if my mare could have seen what was back there.  jeri