Re: Trail Riding Safety

carla lawson robcarla@bellsouth.net
 Sadly another teenager lost his life a couple of weeks ago. Leaving
behind a younger sister, parents
a lot of friends and relatives. Robert and I decide to attend the Trail
Ride to Help Raise money for
the Parents. I am not fond some (note not all) organized trail rides nine
of ten of them are pretty much
all road and gravel. Such as the case today. But this gets sadder by the
minute.
First off Rob and I don't have our horses Shod, had I known this was going
to be and all Gravel and
paved road ride I would have gladdly attended but not participate.
Second, Had I known there was going to be a considerable amount of
drinking (this is on a Sunday) I
would have stayed home. I'm sorry... there are a few things you don't
do...drink and ride..I just don't
condone this. Kind of like drink and drive...but not as bad. Just horses
usually get blamed if someone
gets hurt. However the story goes on (must pause to put flames out) Some
idiot came chargeing by on
his 2 year old QH yep.....2. When he did his horse slightly balked and
went sideways INTO the
mother of the Deceased...Who was really good at holding her composure.
Needless to say he went on I
never saw him again. He was polite to Robert and I, but obviously Drunk
off his ass to pay no heed
to where he was going.
Third. about 1/4 mile from the end yet another drinking, guzzling,
idiot...wait there was four of them
and the scarey part... under age. two horses four people. Two young girls
and their Cowboy boyfriends
riding. guzzling beer.. and the horse starts limping. I look and see
founder rings up and down the
hoof of the horse. He gets off looks... hops back on and trots the horse
in. Meanwhile...I was fuming
at this point. I was waiting for this to end.  I had a chaffed butt, sore
boobs, and my horse had been
hoping from what little grass we could find to pavement. I had seen two
seperate instances where I
wanted to knock the snot out of a rider or two or three or several and
escape with the horses. Robert
told me not to say one word. Just get thru this, We thought the road ended
here....all this time
we were supporting the parents of a child who was busted for
methanphetamine, DUI and several
other offenses. I felt bad for the parents who sold his two horses today
to cover funeral costs. The
final thought that echoes through out my head.. This was a funeral
prossession... A long line of
someones history. I saw many of the "friends" here today. I must say I was
hugely Embarrassed for
this to be Rob's First Organized Trail Ride. I promised him this as we
left. Endurance riders in NO
Way behave in this manner. Yeah, there is a few little parties after the
ride is over but its all business
and horses at first.
So there you go Marv...there are some safety tips...Lock your kids up,
Lock Your horses up and don't
come out on the trails....Sometimes its not the trial...its the stupid
people that continue to BREED
themselves!!!
Okay who did I rent this soap box from????
Carla (embarrased)
Ansata (Mom that was not a brite ideer!)
Haley (I was a goo goo ggoooo)
Rob (I am not very sure about this!)
PS. spent about 20 min per horse soaking feet in ice water to hopefully
cool the feet on my poor gals
and gave them extra bite for putting up with me! I am sooo disgusted!