Re: Injury/death figures

At 05:15 PM 8/19/01 -0700, Michael Maul wrote:
>Marv,
>
>Do you have any links to the injury/death figures mentioned?
>
>************
>when they were a kid," but in researching segment possibilities they were
>stunned by the horse injury / death figures.
>************

No, I do not have any links to any figures.  The producer told me that the
figures she uncovered during her research were staggering enough to at
least explore a horse segment for the program.

When she would ask me something like, "Do you know the predominant
victims are..." I'd jump in and answer, "14 to 16 year old girls."  And then
she'd say, "Right.  And most accidents occur..."  And I'd jump in and say,
"When they are just noodling around with the horse."  Then she said
something like, "And the horse most commonly involved are..." And I said,
"Thoroughbred Crosses."

And from there we went into what we could do for each other dialogue.

While I have in the past seen various figures, I have no real recollection of
what they are.  I have been a car driver and a motorcyclist.  The percentage
of car drivers I know who have been injured by cars and the percentage of
cyclists I know who have been injured in bike wrecks is no where near as
high as the percentage of horse people I know who have been injured or
killed by horses.  Those are the figures I go by.  I really don't need the
others.

When you divide the injuries into the particular population, my own gut feeling
is that horses are way above any other activity.

As negotiations go on, I'll ask where they got the figures.

>Do you mean rider or horse deaths/injuries in the posting?
>
>Just heard on the radio today that cyclists have 800+ deaths a year with
>500K injuries
>reported.  There may be a lot more cyclists though... The radio mentioned
>that head
>injuries are increasing among cyclists even with increased helmet use.

Hmmm...I guess I was in thinking in terms of death being an injury.  I was
making
no distinction.  I guess I considered vegetated to be as serious as death.

I make sure that everyone I work with understands: "If you are involved
with horses it
is not a question of *IF* you will be injured but *WHEN* and those injuries
range from
chipped nail polish to death."

Marv "I've never stood near a parked motorcycle and had it spook over me."
Walker
September Clinic dates: http://MarvWalker.com/clinic.htm