coronet scar and horizontal crack

Hi - Has anyone seen a horizontal crack at a horse's coronet from old
scarring and was it fixable or just a long term heartbreaker?

This is on a young distance prospect I'd like to buy if this is fixable:
http://www.redwrench.com/mischorse/keratoma/hoof1.jpg
http://www.redwrench.com/mischorse/keratoma/hoof2.jpg

The hoof appears cracked in the picture, but there's just a top layer that's
cracked.  The underlying hoof is in good shape.  My vet will look at it
Monday, but it'd be great to hear from a distance rider who has dealt with
this first hand.

Thanks,
Michelle