TOP TEN TIPS!!

guest@ridecamp none
If you are shooting for top ten, start at the FIRST VET CHECK. Friday
night have the vet go over your horse with a fine tooth comb, especially
if your horse is ticklish or anything, because at the top ten judging it
will be noted as "tender" or "sore" not ticklish, but if you bring it to
the vets attention at the begining of the ride it will not be counted
against you if the horse is the same way at the finish of the ride.
Pay attention when they do the CRI, at one ride, one vet took my horses
pulse before the trot out, it was 48, a DIFFERENT vet took my horses pulse
after the trot out, the second vet got a 60!
The first vet looked pretty surprised, the second vet was a novice, I
neglected to say anything or ask that the first vet retake the pulse, so
that screwed me up.
Weight, at the last water stop fill up your water bottles and keep them
full, at one ride I had just finished pouring the last of my water from my
4 water bottles over my horse when I discovered I'd come in top ten, I
immediatly was weighed so I lost about 6 pounds.  And don't be
discouraged, the horse in the best condition does not always win the best
conditon award, with bonus points going for time and weight, I've seen
some horses in pretty sad shape get best conditon.