Top Ten Tips??

I am one of those riders that always rode my own ride and from time to time
ended up in the top ten.  This is probably because of the horse I was riding
at the time more than anything.  However, I can remember 3 times that I was
running 10th and finished 11th.  Once, I was riding with someone who lost a
shoe.  I gave him my easy boot 3 miles from the finish and he then raced me
in and took 10th.  Another time, a few miles from the finish, a rider know
for his high placing passed me at a gallop.  With a big smile on his face,
he said "Having a good ride?".  I thought, "My horse is so tired, I coudn't
possibly ask him to keep up".  That rider slowed down as soon as he was out
of sight and finished 10, 2 minutes ahead of me!  It's worth while to pay
attention to those little details, 11th place is a hard placed to finish!