Re: First Aid Kit Save the Day!

Hey evryone!

Just wanted to share in my experience on the trail yesterday. For 6 years I've been riding trails and never had to use my first aid kit for any reason. Yesterday, thank God I had it and probably saved my horse's life.

I guess I sent this without finishing....sooooory.

Anyway, a group of us went riding yesterday in the sweltering heat in St Louis area yesterday, no air movement, and horse flies the size of B52s were everywhere! We must have been insane to ride yesterday. I had my very green horse behind everyone trying to swat flies and control Dandy when all of a sudden the horse in front of us hauls off and kicks Dandy. I didn't think anything of it at first but my riding buddy in front of me said " hey there's blood on Dandy's front leg!" I got off immediately to check him out and on his upper front leg there was a small slit and bright red blood was spurting out! My friend called a vet to meet us back at the trailer.

I had a great little kit on my cantle bag; tampax sterile gauze, vetwrap and an ace wrap. I used it all to stop the bleeding. The problem was that at the top of the foreleg where it is larger and then gets smaller it kept sliding down his leg so I had to rewrap a few times along the way. Next time I'll add a small roll of duct tape to keep the bandage in place. That stuff is great in any situation!

By the time we hiked back 3 miles or so  and the vet arrived a few minutes after we walked up.
The cut was very small and the vet decided to put 2 stitches in to seal the vessel for sure. It's a good thing she did cause Dandy was rubbing his nose on that leg all evening...must have itched or something. I think it would have opened up again if it hadn't been stitched.

There had been times when I had the thought of not taking the first aid kit, but always did. Now for sure I always will and won't leave home without it. Stuff happens, but be prepared!

Happy Tails!

Susan and Dandy in sweltering St Louis