Re: RC: Fair Grounds usage?

In a message dated Wed, 8 Aug 2001  8:12:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time, guest@endurance.net writes:

> Ray O. rno2m@virginia.edu
>   Eh? How does this work,for the traveler? And when the fair is not in
> session? Are the grounds just unlocked,and you go use the corrals and
> camp?I travel in winter months.

It varies from county to county.  Fairgrounds are public facilities, and often get heavy year-around use by the public.  Some places DO lock up, and aren't conducive to use by travelers--you have to have an appoointment, and to get one, you have to know who to call (often a private individual who is a member of the local fair board).  Although we used to use the one in McDermitt, NV regularly--the key was kept at a local service station, and as long as you knew which station, you could just go get it.  They only locked it to keep vandals out.  Others range from simply being open so that you can drive in and use the facility (usually those are places without too many amenities) to having a full-time grounds keeper that lives in a house right on the grounds, and often charging a small fee for stall use, RV hookups, etc.

The WORST time to stay at one is when their local fair is on, as then every stall, pen, nook, or cranny is full, and you can't even find a parking place...

Heidi