Navicular Tendancies

Lynn White lwhite@itd.state.id.us
I have a wonderful 14 hand grade mare (13 years old).  I think she is an
arab/welch or Arab/quarter cross.  Anyway, I currently ride her in 25's or
30's.   Her feet are in proportion to her size.  She takes a 00 size easy
boot. I have ridden her on a 50-mile trail ride (we got carried away on
that day), and didn't have any problems with her.  She definitely has the
go to do 50's,  but I don't want to push her too hard and make her lame,
as she is such a fun little horse to ride. She LOVES the trails and loves
to do limited distance.  Anyway, I got her off a ranch in Nevada, and I
think one of her previous owners probably broke her and worked her way too
hard too early in her life.  She was in a stock yard, you know, lots of
quick starts and skids and stops.  She has been nerved in her front feet.
I guess what my concern is, can navicular disease be prevented by just
waiting longer to start horses, or is this something that is going to be
inherited?  I would love to get a colt out of this mare.  She is very
smart, has a really smooth ride, is put together well, and doesn't have
any bad conformation flaws.  I am not looking to make money off a colt, I
just want to raise a nice little horse for myself for limited distance and
trail rides.  I would like to find a stallion with big feet under 15
hands.  I think that I will probably go with a Blazer since they are
plentiful here in southern Idaho.

Any advice would be helpful!