hauling hay to rides

Hi all,
Looking for some advice from you experienced haulers.   I LOVE my new truck
camper, but can't seem to get the perfect solution for hauling hay to rides.
 My trailer dressing room is large enough, but putting the hay in there makes
a major mess.   When I only haul one horse, I put the hay in the next stall,
but obviously can't do that when hauling two (2H trailer).

Do those of you with racks on top of your trailers like that arrangement?

Has anyone tried putting hay across the tongue of the trailer?   It looks
like there is plenty of room.  I've even thought of making a little steel
frame, to hold a bale upright "standing" on the tongue.

Suggestions?

Pat Farmer