Re: RC: Input needed -- tying up?

In a message dated 8/3/2001 8:44:17 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
guest@endurance.net writes:

leva@firefox.org

My horse tends to tie up.  Usually only fit horses tie up.  Pasture potatoes
usually don't.  I have taken the advice of Sue Garlinghouse and my vets and
others and don't feed straight alfalfa.  Also, how large an area does your
horse have.  Mine had about 2 acres and tied up anyway but it sometimes can
be a factor.  Did you have bloodwork done.  It may not have been a true tie
up.  Mine walked out of it and I had the work done anyway.  I don't feed him
anything other than oat hay and pasture [which is dry now]  now but Vitamin
E/ Selenium and Red Cell or Lixotinic.  But the RedCell and Lixo are because
he is slightly anemic.  DMG can help with tie ups too.  His PCV was about 29%
and low normal is 32%.'

maryben