response to Kathy's post

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kathy Mayeda" <Kathy_Mayeda@atce.com>
To: "Linda Hedgpeth" <lth@thegrid.net>; <ridecamp@endurance.net>
Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2001 1:05 PM
Subject: RC: More Dead Horses

I guess I am as guilty as anyone about "sweeping things under the
rug."
I have heard of several incidences of a horse dying due to
something happening in
an endurance event.  I personally know a couple of these people and
consider them my friends.

The parties involved are very responsible riders.  What has
happened to the
the horses belong in the **** happens category.  I DO NOT want to
see them hung
and tried on Ridecamp.  They are always more upset about the
incidences than you
could really believe.  They are not hard, callous people that
over-ride their horses -
but are people that truly think of their horses as partners on the
trail and give their
horses the best of care.  And their high mileage endurance records
with the same
horses ride after ride shows that they know how to take care of
their horses.

Doesn't mean that a death of the horse is okay.  It is not.  But be
careful of who
you are claiming to be guilty.  Your horse may drop dead on the
trail due to **** happens
too.  Maybe then, you will get a different perspective.

Since you have directed this post to me personally as well as on
ridecamp, I would like to respond.

Kathy, we all know that **** happens.  The particular incident that
has been discussed would not fall into that category.  My horse
very well could "drop dead on the trail" someday.  However, it
won't be because I rode him in a 50-miler ill-prepared.  I have had
a lot of things happen in my life this last year that has prevented
me from riding much.  Because of this, I would not even ride him
now on an LD in this heat.  And, if he died at a ride, it wouldn't
be because I *refused* him the best medical attention available.  I
feel that if I can afford to participate in an event such as this,
I should also be able to afford the emergency expenses that could
arise from it.  It's obvious to me now, that not all people feel
that way.

I would also like to add that my hat is off to the amazing people
and horses that appear to breeze through the 100-milers.  I crewed
for some folks at the '99 Swanton Pacific and I was in awe of how
good most of the top ten horses looked.  It was hard to believe
that they had just hoofed through 100 miles.  And, Robin Hood is my
personal hero, so don't go thinking I have been putting these
people down, cause I haven't.

The case of Dancer was not resolved to the satisfaction of many
people.  However,
AERC took a compassionate stance towards the rider.  I don't have a
problem with
that.  This rider will have his reputation to live with for many
years to come and that
will be bad enough.

I disagree.  This rider had been warned, talked to, and advised by
various people for a long time to take it easier with this
incredibly talented, big hearted athlete that he was privileged
enough to own.  These people felt sorry for Dancer and tried to
talk some sense into his owner.  The owner would not listen to
anyone.  I remember one of them posting to ridecamp that they had
considered trying to buy Dancer to get him away from this person.
After reading about the repeated whipping at the Oakland Hills
ride, I felt that the owner did not deserve compassion.  What
compassion was he showing to this horse who had carried him to
numerous endurance wins?

The endurance community is very small, and they will also start
to remember your actions, too.

"The endurance community will start to remember my actions"???
That's good.  I haven't had any "actions" that I am ashamed of, to
date.

Please look at the mileage of people posting to you in
disagreement.  And compare
them with those that agree with you.  Then think about how long you
want to beat this
dead horse.

K.

We are back to the mileage thing.  I suppose, from what you saying,
that I should discount the opinions of everyone with less than (how
many miles would you suggest?) and only listen to those with (same
question?).  I didn't know that common sense and ethics were
directly related to endurance miles.  But then, what do I know?  I
am only a mileage newbie.

Linda Hedgpeth