Re: RC: fit to finish?? Tevis riders

On the XP, and I was there, any injury or ailment of significant effect to
the horse was reason to hold the horse.
As many others have stated, the horses of the XP ride remained healthy, and
were cared for by their riders and crews.  Very little veterinary assistance
was needed.
In all this discussion by those who were not there, they loose sight of the
fact that the horses were healthy and treated well.  These horses were able
to go on and on because there was no abuse.  That is really the test of
proper treatment of a horse, his ability to go on and on.  We seem to have
people without a degree in medicine saying that the horse was not fit.  Well,
vets did look at the horses daily and determined which horse was fit to do
so, and checked them again after the ride to determine what condition the
horse was in.
This has been a game of telephone on Ridecamp.  A small rub has become
SOOOOOO BIG.  With each telling the problems grow in the mind of the
listener.
Many of these horses are going on to the Tevis tomorrow and many more could
have gone on if they had a paid entry.  Wow, I am so proud of the real
horsemen and women out there who know how to ride and take care of their
horses.  There will be horses pulled and injured out there on the trail
tomorrow.  This will be because it is a very difficult trail.  Because of all
the thousands who have done it before we know this is not asking too much of
the horse.

Good Luck Tevis Riders!      Lynge