Re: RC: XP Ride - I am disgusted

In a message dated 7/31/2001 6:19:42 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
lth@thegrid.net writes:

No ma'am.  The "totally inaccurate" "mania" "negligent" "hysteria,
hearsay and rumor" on Ridecamp was not too far off.  But then, perhaps
your opinion is biased because you are friends with one or more of
those involved???   However, your assurance to us that the matter was
"under investigation" *was* inaccurate.  After speaking to the
President of AERC, I found out that it was not the case.

Ordinarily I would not respond to this but since you personally attacked me
by acusing me of being friends with one or more of those involved, I guess I
have to answer.  You may remember that I posted to you,  privately I might
add, and mentioned the names of the people involved.  You did not even know
who they were.  As a matter of fact I only have seen one of them a few times,
would not recognize her if I saw her and have never seen the rider herself.

My assurance to you that the matter is being investigated is true.  The board
has been receiving information and the vet committee is actively working on
it.  I would expect it will be topic at the mid year meeting in Phoenix in
November.  However, in the absence of a protest, I am not altogether sure
what we are expected to do.
If I remember correctly, I posted to you because you said you were going to
file a protest and I wanted information on whether or not you were there and
knew the people involved.  You had no idea who the people were and were not
there.

On another subject, I am also of the opinion, strictly my own, that a lot of
the people on Ridecamp, certainly not all, are not AERC members and have
never even ridden a 50 miler, yet they are ranting and raving about the Board
of Directors and how the board never does anything or does things without
approval of the membership.  You can't have it both ways.  Anyone who wants
my unpaid position on the board or anyone else's for that matter, is welcome
to run for it.  If you don't like the board, replace it.  That is within the
membership's power.

I would like to see the messages that give out advice, or are controversial
and/or opinionated, mine included, signed with their name, aerc number and
number of AERC miles.  I think that would go a long way.

Maryben Stover
West Region Director
Past AERC Vice President
AERC #2352