Re: RC: Conflict of Interest

Seems there are a couple issues involved which somehow got all thrown
together. First I don't believe AERC has taken an official stand on the NGB
issue. Barney said as much in the June EN.  It will not matter to 95% of the
members who is the NGB. The issues expressed in the letter to the chronical
was a personal opinion - was not in any way meant to or did not in any way
claim to be a position of the AERC.

The issue between AHSA and AERC seems to arise from the AHSA stand that since
the AERC is a member of the AHSA, then the AHSA owns the AERC national
championship - a stand that caused the AERC to withdraw their membership.
Again this has nothing to do with the NGB political issue between AHSA and
USET.

As far as conflict of interest, every state has laws in place that govern how
officers and directors of corporations must conduct the business of the
corporation. I would believe that CA has probably some of the most
comprehensive laws in the country regarding potential conflict of interest.
As the AERC grows and as the involvement of other organizations in endurance
grows, then it would behoove all directors to learn and understand the CA law
related to how they must function when representing the AERC so that there is
not an appearance of a conflict of interest. I can not, however, see that
anything in the issue between AHSA and AERC has anything to do with conflict
of interest.

Truman