Re: RC: distance riding

Jeanie.....

A great description of what it's all about.  I was a deep water (North
Carolina Coast Wreck Diver) SCUBA diver for 20 years....ALL the dives
are 100 feet+ cuz the gulf stream is 50 miles offshore.  I was also a
skydiver (very short career..only 8 jumps).  The way you survive is that
you "dive" scared all the time....especially amongst the sharks.  Same
is true of Endurance....if you're not getting an ulcer worrying, you
ain't doing it right! <grin> I WORRY  the week before, can't sleep
WORRYING the nite before, and WORRY the whole ride...but I LOVE flying
down the trail, confident in my horse and how I have trained him.  When
you have a GOOD horse, fit in all ways, and you get the opportunity at
the end of a ride to just drop the reins and let him do his thing and
run for the finish, with his mane in your face and your heart
pounding.....you know why you are here.  On the other hand, it's such a
RELIEF to finish....especially if we have "done good"....and I'm so
PROUD of my little guy and what WE have done that after the ride I just
want to sit there on the ground in his corral with a cool one and rub
him in his favorite spots and just "be with him". It will make you
humble.....I will give this up when they pry my cold dead fingers from
the reins...

Jim, Sun of Dimanche, and Mahada Magic