distance riding

Been in this sport for 30 years.  Do I sleep any better before a ride?  NO!
Do I worry about over stressing the horse especially when the weahter is
hot, humid, yucky?  YES!  Do I love trail riding?  YES!  Do I love the
family of friends that I have made?  YES!  Am I ever able to do a ride worry
free?  NO!  Would I quit doing this sport?  NO!  Does worry make one ride
more safely?  YES!
One just learns about giving electrolytes, watching the trails for the
stumblies, not overdoing the horse's capabilities, making sure that the
horse has the proper food to eat during the competition, learning to ignore
the devil that sits on one's shoulder saying 'go faster'.  But most of all,
I cannot think of any other thing that puts a big grin on my face than to be
booking down trail on a fit horse that I trained yelling
"whooooooo-eeeeeeee!"  Jeanie  PS  love those trotting races too