RE: ill, IV'd, dead horses on rides.

At the risk of dragging an uncomfortable topic out, I've got some long range
and recent experience on multiple levels of this topic.  First, Bob Morris
makes a good point re: let's check the facts against the channels provided
for processing them in order to end up with information that is accurate,
useful and preventative in nature.  Second, the guest post re: my horse on
IV's @ Tevis at 22 (?) miles while clock indicates the horse is not being
pushed for speed only reaffirms my recent personal experience with two
different clients that I shared with RCers, ie, two horses needed IV
intervention (one a mild case of colic post ride - later thought to be
contributed to by a muscle pull which didn't show up until the horse had
cooled out sufficiently, while the other involved a sever calcium/potassium
imbalance in a horse that had been electrolyted consistently throughout the
ride, and is still a puzzel).  Todays ride vets seem to have reached a
consensus that when in doubt one of the most important treatment protocals is
to get LOTS of fluids in a questionable horse, much more so, I think, than
ever before.  If we make this act suspect by second and third guessing the
owner and vet with post ride opinions on RC, we are, in effect contributing
to a situation LESS supportive to the continued welfare of the horse.  After
all, if all your riding friends looked down on you because your horse got
IV'd at a ride, you might be more careful in your riding (which would be
good), but you also might be less likely to take a marginal horse to a vet
before you took it home (which would be bad) and as it's been pointed out,
horses on IV's are not ALWAYS horses which have been over ridden.
    The electrolyte advice re: only electrolyte when horse is drinking, has
also been called into question recently by articles which state that if a
horse's system is allowed to get electrolyte depleted, the horse's brain
won't register its thirst and therefore it won't drink a definate "catch 22".
 So even this issue is not a clear cut any more as it might seem on first
glance!
    Finally, most agree that education is at least one key to making
endurance a safer, more humane sport and I certainly agree.  Not only that,
but AERC has its tax exempt charter to do business BASED on the fact that it
is an "educational" organization.  My personal experience regarding that
however is that the BOD has basically said the organization "can't afford"
education, at least not in the form of articles for its membership magazine.
There ARE experts out there writing for other magazines on material which
would be valuable to endurance riders....I know because I make it a point to
read the stuff, for instance in "The Horse," etc., and that's not the only
one, but I doubt if most of those journalists want to give their livelyhood
skills away for nothing, at least not more than once or twice.  There could
be a lot more done to contribute to the knowledge of the membership if
"education" in all its various presentations got something more than the lip
service in AERC's circles of power, but to get it done probably means members
would have to indicate that education is an important issue and follow
through with elected representatives and that, of course, leads us into the
rats nest of politics and "government," where, with todays moral climate,
most of us are loath to go, especially when the alternative is to be out on
the trail with a good horse!  A totally understandable position from my
perspective.
Happy Trails    Donna Snyder-Smith