over riding, IV"S

I have only held two rides, going on my third. Because we were not sanctioned I told everyone at the ride meeting, by all means, ride your horse the way you have trained. Race, walk whatever they wanted. But I also advised them the PR criteria was 64 in 20 minutes, 60 at the finish and if any horse was over ridden, they would be talked about, but good. They would be stared at, whispered about and absolutly DQ'ed and lectured. I only had a 16 mile and a 32 mile course and it was about 50 degrees by the time everyone finished, so there really wasn't much chance of horses dying. It worked. Not one pull in either ride. These were mostly people who never did a longer distance ride, lots of Jr.'s and a few "hotrodders". They all took good care of the horses. I was very proud. This year we will be sanctioned, have a 50 and I will give the same lecture. I hope it works. Lisa Salas, The Odd FARM