Starting CTRs/LD

Hi Kim,

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, I just finished my first 23 mile CTR
last weekend ( the story was posted a few days ago ) but our horses finished
happy and healthy, so I feel I can give you my comments. :)  We conditioned for
about 5 months, gradually building up longer distance.  On the trail we did a
lot of trot work, building up the length and time we went.  A rule of thumb I've
heard from the list is to ride/condition the amount of miles a week that you
would like to do in a ride.  We were aiming for a 25 miler, so we went about 5
mile 2x during the week and a 10 miler on the weekend.  We took it very slow..
walking  with a bit of trotting at first, gradually building up until we were
almost trotting the whole time (in our 5 milers).  We would walk downhill and
walk uphills (we're building up our uphill work as we speak).  You'll probably
do little to no cantering on your first ride..  your strength should be your
"power trot" so work on that.. I think it's the best gait for building up your
strength on the other gaits (walk, canter).  We're giving them a week off now
and only lightly rode them before the CTR.

I think you should increase your distance to increase Stella's
stamina/endurance.. increasing your distance will also allow her to know that
she's in it for the long run and to begin learning to take care of herself out
on the trail (eating and drinking, pacing herself).  Being an arab she has an
advantage. :)  You don't necessarily have to go fast, but lots of LSD will be
beneficial to your horse in the long run if you anticipate on conditioning for
longer mileage.  For us 25/week is pretty much the max with our schedules plus
my fiance rides a paint so we'll be sticking to the shorter distances. :)

Good luck, let us know how your first ride goes..  you know your horse better
than anyone else and if you go slow, I think you would be okay entering one with
the amount of riding you've been doing..  but to err on the safe side, building
up those miles is probably your best bet.

I found your webpage a while ago..  your mares are too cute.. love that filly of
yours also.

If anyone has any comments or corrections on what I've said so far, please let
me know..  I'm always learning and am open to new ideas!

Julienne
julienne.faithweb.com