Re: RE: RE: Bloodlines

Kathy wrote: "Like the flat croup - functionally is not as good for a
dressage horse or jumper - and I have actually
seen articles written to look for Arabs with a sloping croup for
performance. "

In Dr. Loving's book "Conformation and Performance" she says this about
performance consequences of flat croups:

"A flat croup encourages a long, flowing stride and ground-covering trot
because it allows the horse to push rearward with the hind legs with ease.
This in turn helps the horse go faster, esp. when the flat croup is
sufficiently long to allow a greater range of mucle contraction to move the
bony levers of the skeleton." ...

and

"A flat croup makes it more difficult for the horse to engate the HQ so the
back tends to stiffen.  This makes it hard for a horse to achieve excellence
in dressage or jumping work or in stock horse work."

She recommends distance trail riding, showing, or carriage driving in
harness for horses with this conformation.  Just posted this as I'd seen the
warnings about flat croups and thought this was interesting when I read it -
not trying to argue one way or the other. :-)

Michelle