Aggressive Bees on WS Trail

Heather Watson watson1@gv.net
Hello!  I just thought I'd share some info to anyone with bee allergies
who might be riding the Western States trail, especially with Tevis coming
up.

Last Saturday, at the bottom of El Dorado Canyon, my riding partner and I
encountered VERY aggressive small bees/hornets.  I'm not quite sure what
they were.  I have meat hornets at my house in Grass Valley, but have
never experienced the level of aggression these bees displayed.

We were attacked twice (on the way down) near Swinging Bridge and then on
the way back home (close to the same spot).  There were also swarms of
these bees at the river crossing at Swinging Bridge.

During the second attack, we decided to seriously increase our speed to
escape the bees.  We were at full speed for about two or three minutes and
were still being attacked (more than a quarter mile).  The bees launched
themselves at us at full speed and would sting/bite.  They seemed to
target the "soft spots".  I was stung six times near my Carotids and they
even went into my shirt and stung me in the armpit.

You know when you have a bee that is trapped inside your clothing and it
is trying to escape?  Sometimes you'll get stung but it doesn't happen
right away?  Well, this was not like that--the bee hurled itself at me
while we were traveling over 15mph, headed right to my armpit, and
immediately stung or bit me.

Again, I've been stung over the years several times...once even over
thirty times on my head and neck, but never quite like this.  I really
hope that these are just meat hornets and not Africanized bees.  That
would be a bummer.

Anyway, If you have a sensitivity to bee stings, make sure to bring the
appropriate medical supplies if you're planning on riding the WS trail.