Re: Swanton NATRC ride

Ellen Carter ellen.carter@compaq.com
>I understand why you don't like the point to point time >requirements. I
wouldn't like that either. That's too much pace >dictation. We're given a
time window (say 4 to 4 1/2 hours), so >the riders can go faster during
the cool of the day, then >meander during the heat.

I wanted to clear up any misunderstanding regarding NATRC pacing.  There
are no "point to point" time requirements.  You don't have to be at point
A at 6:20 and then point B at 7:50. At the rides I have been too, you get
a map showing landmarks and "suggested" pacing (mileage between landmarks,
time between landmarks, mph between landmarks).  This information can help
you decide "I better not dawdle this morning 'cause I won't be able to
make time this afternoon cause this steep section here was timed at 2.9
mph".  You do have to complete the ride between a minimum time and a
maximum time, say 8 to 8 1/2 hours. If you come in too early or too late
(before minimum time or after maximum time) you are assesed penalty
points.  Of course, you do have to be at the P&R/judging spots when the
P&R teams/judges are there. That usually means you don't want to be more
than 30 minutes ahead of minimum time.  And you usually can't be more than
an hour late or you may miss a judged obstacle/observation.  At some
rides, management may be more strict about exactly how early/late you can
be at particular points on the trail since getting P&R teams/judges in
place in time can be logistically challenging.

Due to P&R's being taken out on the trail, you're not going to gain much
by racing ahead in the morning and perhaps blowing your 1st P&R in order
to poke along in the afternoon.  I try to stay on minimum time until
lunch.  This can be harder than you might think, especially on the tougher
rides like Swanton.  I don't want to overstress my horse (and lose points)
so I follow the suggested pacing on the map and rarely do I get more than
5-10 minutes ahead of minimum time.

ellen