Re: RC: Bloodlines

In a message dated Tue, 24 Jul 2001  7:10:26 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Kathy Mayeda" <Kathy_Mayeda@atce.com> writes:

> Okay  I believe you should breed for correctness 1st, beauty 2nd, and type 3rd. Yes I believe they can come in the same package.

How can they NOT come in the same package?  True Arabian "type" includes basically correct riding conformation, as the Arabian was and is still supposed to be a riding horse.  This has been lost along the wayside somewhere in some mythical sort of "type" that has come to mean "pretty heads and hooky necks."  You should be able to look at a functional Arabian body and say, "Hey, THAT is an ARABIAN!"  And that is what type is all about.  As for beauty--how some of these caricatures today can be considered beautiful is beyond me.  It is almost painful to watch many of them move, and they look like a discombobulated combination of unrelated parts.  Well conformed horses, on the other hand, are downright beautiful, and a joy to watch in motion.  There is simply no way you can SEPARATE type, correctness, and beauty--you can't have one without the others.

Heidi
And remember, it is sometimes as much who is showing the horse than the horse itself! I bet a horse that is shown by a top name trainer will place a lot higher than he would with a relative unknown unless the horse is absolutely spectacularly showy.