Re: RC: slowing LDs

>     > But how do you slow down LD rides.  Any suggestions?
>

>Well, you could always impose a minimum completion time.......
>

>Dede
>
>Central CA

Having a minimum completion time as well as the present maximum makes it a
CTR, and most areas of the country have those already.

Not awarding LD placings (and many rides don't) might take some of the edge
off the aspiring hot shoes, but it basically comes down to educating
riders.  I still laugh when I remember moseying in to the finish at one LD
-- I was just out for the mileage and my mare had been heat stressed
trailering to the ride anyway, so I was planning on riding at max time --
about the same speed as a NATRC Open ride.  A quarter mile from the finish
four other LDers galloped past -- ooh, they beat me!  Wrong.  I called for
a P&R as soon as I dismounted at the finish and since my mare was well
below criteria we got our completion then and there  and went to the vet--
while the racers spent another 5-10 minutes trying to pulse down and get
their completion <g>.

Lynn Kinsky (Santa Ynez, CA)
http://www.silcom.com/~lkinsky