Re: RC: Finding the right bit

In a message dated 1/20/01 10:34:37 AM Pacific Standard Time, lanconn@tds.net
writes:

Did you catch the "Horse Loading" program on Horse-TV, Channel 9409?  He
needs to read John's books.  If he had to unload horses where and when I
do he would forget about that ramp.  I'd like to seem him get one off on
the side of a mountain when he doesn't have a level spot to drop the
ramp! :)  Teaching a simple "go forward" cue would have elminated all
that punching and prodding.  Sugar cubes? Gimme a break! Well, whatever
works for you, I guess.  Better than winching them on. :)

I made sure to watch that because when I used to show horses, Jimmy Williams
was THE TRAINER.  He was also one of the best riders I ever saw.  People used
to laugh at his sugar cubes, me among them.  I have a friend who trains with
carrots.  She trained my horse that way.  It works.......As far as his
trailer tips, I found them interesting.  I learned exactly the opposite.  We
were told to put horses in on the left side if only once horse because the
road is graded to drain water and is on a tilt to the right.  Also, we were
told that ramps were more dangerous than step ups.  I also put the panic snap
end on the horse and not the trailer.  I am too short to reach where it hooks
into the trailer.  However, I liked his idea about the lights.  I always tap
my brakes when a turn is coming up anyway.

maryben