re: Late arrival

Teresa Van Hove  vanhove@ucar.edu
Elayne hnic452@aol.com wrote >>>>>>>>>>
Would like opinions regarding adverse effects on horse when
a late night arrival (say 8 or 9 pm, before a dawn race) is
necessary. Does the trailering (from 3 to 6 hrs depending
on where the race is), late arrival, lack of time to relax
and recoup before racing cause a hardship on the horse?
This is in reference to LD races, taking the entire time
allowed, not pushing the horse. >>>>>>>>>>

ELaine,

I think a good rule of thumb on trailiering is that riding in the trailer
for an hour is equivalent to the horse traveling on foot an hour at an
easy-med. pace.  I've seen plenty of horses doing longer distances be fine
with a late arrival time, but if the horse was barely ready to handle
whatever distance then a late arrival might be a problem after a
longish trailer haul.  Much depends on the trailer type, the driver, whether
the horse will be exercised some on arrival, whether the horse will have
been munching hay in the trailer and will eat well right out of the trailer.
So I don't think anyone can say "Its absolutely ok for anyone" but its
certainly not an absolute problem.

Cheers,
Teresa