Re: Re: Barefoot Endurance Horses

Every horse has their own natural angle at which they go best.  Some may go
best at a 49-50 degree angle while others tend to go better on the higher
side of 54-56.  Our stallion moves like a dream at 55 degrees while my
daughter's gelding goes best at 52-53 degrees.  The hind feet are usually a
couple of degrees lower in the hind however when working with gaited horses,
this may sometimes be the opposite.  I think the average horse is probably
54 in the front and 56 in the hind.  Then again, there are those horses who
defy ALL logic!!  Nelson and I would agree that it isn't a good idea to try
to correct a horse's way of going especially after 18 months to 2 years.
Many Arabs will tend to appear cowhocked, gaited horses often look paddle
footed... corrective trimming or shoeing can and most likely will cause
stress on joints and tendons and bones that can cause much more serious
issues.  Good luck and keep sharing what you are learning, Michelle!!  I am
interested to hear what angles Darolyn tends to average when trimming her
horses as well.  I am going to let Malik go barefoot this year as long as
possible to see how he goes....
Maggie