Re: Barefoot Endurance Horses

> I have been checking out the different barefoot websites but don't see any
> mention of trimming differently for a horse that doesn't land flat because
it
> toes out, etc. Any suggestions appreciated.

Hi Shelly -

I asked about this on a hoof trimming bulletin board as my husband's horse
toes out badly.  The answer was to trim the hoof to the live sole plane and
forget about how the hoof lands.  The reason being that the hoof needs the
most support during the weight bearing phase...  Trimming to fix the landing
phase will likely put unnatural stress on the horse's joints during the
critical weight bearing phase.  Hope this makes sense, and if this answer
contradicts what someone else thinks, PLEASE let me know.  I'm trying to
learn all I can about hoof trimming and balance (have enrolled in farrier
classes in the spring).

Darolyn, I am interested to know how much heel you leave on your endurance
horses that you trim.  Dr. Loving's book on endurance says that horse's
heels should be left fairly long, but natural trimming methods say to make
them short.  How much heel do you leave?

Thanks -

Michelle
(Colorado)