White Line and Laminae (from Barb Peck)

Barb Peck Bpeck@together.net
Barb Peck
bpeck@together.net

There were a couple of people who responded
to my post about the color of hooves, and
the definition of the white line.

What most people call the white line, is the dead
portion of the laminae.  It's grown down from
the live portion (up the hoof a ways, and usually
called the sensitive laminae)...
 that's why, if you nip into the dead lower portion
 or rasp it, it doesn't bleed untill you've
trimmed the horse too short,
which means you've hit live tissue.

I've also heard the un-pigmented portion of the wall
called the white line, or white zone... but as I said,
most call the ring of dead laminae (which separates
the wall from the sole) the white line.

Regards,
Barb