Re: RC: pregnant mares and endurance

In a message dated Wed, 17 Jan 2001  9:48:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, JRasalways@aol.com writes:

<< Out here in the PS Region you can not enter a preg. mare.
    Just a ride rule on every entry I've seen. >>

Used to be that way with some rides in the NW, too, but it was challenged and the rules were thrown out.

<<Couldn't be very healthy for
the baby anyway...? Could it?>>

Horses are well designed to travel distances at moderate speeds.  Not a thing about it that would HURT the baby, unless the rider were to get the mare in trouble, and that isn't good for ANY horse, anyway!  And what is unhealthy for the baby about mama being fit, well-fed, and regularly exercised?  I'd say most mares in endurance competition get far better care than a great many pregnant mares left to their own devices out in backyards, and having foaled out a few mares that were endurance ridden until mid-pregnancy or later, they have all had healthy babies and have gotten back into shape much better after foaling than most other broodmares I've known in a great many years of dealing with broodmares!  And if I were to pick ANY sport for a pregnant mare's participation, I'd sure prefer endurance with its moderate pace and veterinary checks to the speed or concussion of timed events, jumping, cutting, etc.--yet I've also known several mares to compete at those sorts of events, !
too, with NO harm to themselves
or their unborn foals...

Heidi