Re: Would like hauling advice

> Donna Shrader bshrader@salsgiver.com
> About to purchase a truck camper. Prefer this as we camp without horses
too. What is your thinking on a 9.5 foot camper weighing 2200 lb vs an 8.5
foot weighing 1600 lb as far as wear and tear and safety hauling long
distances and in mountains. Trailor is 14 foot alum. 2 horse. Truck is 99
ford 1 ton power stroke deisel 7.3 litre 4x4. Any advice would be
appreciated. Larger camper is a really good deal we hate to pass up but
always had 8ft before and this would require hitch extention.

I have a 9.5 ft. camper, and like the extra room----the 8 ft. ones seem to
have no storage......I have a one ton dually 99 Dodge.  I ended up putting
on a heavier duty hitch ( have that stinger, bad idea), and also added
air-bags to the truck to make the ride better.   My trailer is a 20 ft.
stock aluminum, and I make a trip into the hills loaded down with 5 horses,
5 bales of hay on top and sometimes a full 70 gal watertank. DO LOOK into a
safe hitch extension, it can be done, and will require some lateral bracing
by a certified welding shop. I would like to know how the other poster did a
double hitch.  I have been hauling with a stinger, andKNOW it needs to be
beefed up-that is on my list of things to do this month......otherwise, the
heavy camper on the truck, and heavy trailer make for a very nice, solid
drive.