Lessons Learned (long)

  Last Saturday I went for a ride on my TWH, Cyclone.  It was
one of the first above-freezing days we've had since I have
been riding him in easy boots (front only).  Don't know if it
was mud or ice under the grass on the small slope we were
walking up, but his feet went right out from under him and we
went down with a crash.  Fortunately, no major damage was
done.  He was fine, I just banged up my kneecap.

LESSON 1:  use studs in easy boots on grass/mud.

  After I got up and shook myself off, and Cy got up and shook
himself off, Cy started to saunter off.  I followed slowly
calling, cajolling, begging him to come, but he wasn't buying.
Saunter turned into trot which turned into a gallop, off down
the trail, leaving me horseless on foot.  Fortunately I had put
a luggage tag with my name and phone number on it.  Cy ended up
at a nearby farm, visiting their horses over the fence.  The
lady there caught him, untacked him and called the number on
the tag, reaching my husband.  I ran into her hsuband and son
who had gone looking for the rider (me).

LESSON 2: make sure you have ID and phone # on your person when
you ride AND on your horse whenever riding.  A cell phone is a
good idea too.

When I finally found my horse, the lady who had caught and
untacked him said he was in a lather when he arrived.  "He's
a 'roarer', isn't he?".  I had been concrned about his
breathing and had asked his prior owner about it.  She said he
was just out of shape.  I did not get him scoped as part of the
pre-purchase exam, and he was not evaluated after exertion in
the pre-purchase exam: two mistakes I now regret.  Currently he
is fine with the level of riding I do (my bad back limits the
amount of canter/gallop work I can do, and that's when he has
problems) so it's not a big problem, but it would limit his
abilities as an endurance horse, and from what people have told
me it may get progressively worse, and may require surgery.

LESSON 3: pre-purchase exam should include scope of pharynx
(espec. for TWH, saddlebreds and other 'long-necked' breeds
prone to roaring) and should include an exam of the horse after
strenuous exercise.

Fortunately I was unhurt, and found Cy fairly quickly, but not
before my poor husband received the dreaded 'we found a
riderless horse' call.  My husbands response was to jump in the
car and go to the horse.  My husbands horse knowlege ends at
being able to tell a horse from a dog.  He does not ride, and
does not know the trails where I ride.  What he though he was
going to do once he got to the horse I do not know.  After Cy
was safely tucked in at home and we agreed I would get a cell-
phone (despite lousy reception in most areas I ride) I
explained to him that it would have been better if he had
stayed by the phone.  I then wrote out a page-long set of
instructions as to what he should do if this ever happens
again.  This included questions to ask the person who finds the
horse (Is horse oK?  If not, call vet (with vet's number).  If
yes, ask if horse can stay there for awhile.  If not, here is
name of friend with a trailer.  If so, leave him there and STAY
BY THE PHONE).  It also included a list of numbers to call to
raise a search party (people who know the trails I ride) and a
general description of the area I ride in.

LESSON 4: make sure everyone who might answer the phone knows
what to do, who to call, where to look, should the dread 'we
found your horse' call comes in.  Write down phone numbers,
mark on a map the areas you usually ride, and make sure people
know when to stay by the phone.  Make sure the vet's number is
on the list, as well as the numbers of any horsey friends who
can trailer, search etc if you are the only horseman in your
family.

Ride safely!

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more