Keeping Fit

A year ago I also got into strength training.  I work both upper and lower
body but stress the upper body especially abs and back.  I lift 5 days  a
week and really have got hooked.  For Christmas I bought myself a
treadmill and workout on it 5-6 nights a week for 35 minutes and really
enjoy it.  Just start out slow and with very light weights.  I highly
recommend a book Strong Women Stay Young by Miriam Nelson or Strong Women
Stay Slim by same author.  Both books are great and they are written for
middle age or older women or the beginner.  It does make a difference on
how well you last in a ride and how you feel at the end of the ride.  I
too decided that I wanted to be as fit as possible to help out my equine
partner and I am definitely no spring chicken any more.