Anyone riding after Lumbar fusion?

Hi

Well I got the bad news from the surgeon Thursday that I need a lumbar
fusion with cages at L5-S1 area.  You know how non-riding Doctors are, they
all say you'll never ride again.  And then my surgeon goes and tells me that
he does tri-athalons and he's had a lumbar fusion with cages like he wants
to do to me.  So I figure the best source to ask this question to is the
biggest source around, Ridecamp.  So have any of you had back surgery, but
particularly spinal fusion with cages?  If so were you able to ride after
your 1 year recovery?  Can you still compete or just ride trails now?  Or if
you know of somebody that is a horse person and is riding or is not riding
anymore due to back surgery can you give them my email address and ask them
to email me?  Thanks!

This whole thing is only terrifying in the fact that if I get it I may not
be able to ride anymore.  I can do slow easy rides now, but no competitions,
at least right I can ride though and I wouldn't get the surgery if it takes
that away from me.

Thanks for any feed back!

                                    Cheryl Newbanks
 ~~~          ~~  ^ ^        SW Region
 ~~~\      _~~/  /\ /        Litchfield Park, AZ
        (   ) _ _   ) ' '        canewbanks@cybertrails.com