going bitless - THANK YOU!

I wanted to thank everyone who has offered me their input
regarding my desire to scrap the bit. Several of you
encouraged me to give a Parelli Natural Hackamore a try.

Though I have ridden Pilgrim with just his rope halter and
lead rope in my PNH lessons, I was skeptical that this would
provide enough assertion to keep him from trying to eat
throughout a trail ride. Well, tonight I took him out and we had
a blast. I gave him lots of freedom and, though he couldn't
resist diving for a few mouthfuls, he was incredibly respectful.

I will keep this up and, if Pilgrim & I continue to enjoy such good
communication, I will definitely invest in a Natural Hackamore.

Whatever we end up with, our ride tonight showed me that we
can say good-bye to his bit and I look forward to providing him
with that extra level of comfort. At one point, as I gave him a
completely loose rein and he sauntered along resisting a
smorgasbord of "grazeables" mere inches from his nose, I
couldn't help but feel that he was acknowledging my
heightened level of concern for his comfort with his own
heightened level of respect for the "trail-riding-does-not-
equal-an-all-you-can-eat-buffet" rule! It was quite uplifting!  :-)

Thanks everyone... Janet
zestes@sd69.bc.ca